Friday, April 22, 2016

Week 13 Storytelling: Brahma's Emergence

Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva have always been well known throughout the world as the Creator, the Sustainer, and the Destroyer. Vishnu and Shiva received prayers and were worshiped, but Brahma has always stood alone. He was never worshiped because he created the world solely to better understand who he was. He did not create it for man, for beast or for fowl. Brahma was always hurt by the fact that no one wanted to pray to him, so one day, he decided that he would prove to the entire world that he was a god worth worshiping.

Brahma brought himself down to the earth and decided to put himself among man to show his true worth and desire to help out those around him. As soon as he arrived, he began to create every man's greatest desire. For one man he made a million dollars appear in his hands, for another, he created a house made of chocolate, and for another he created a dream sports car. He went around doing this day upon day, thinking that all the people would begin to love, revere, and worship him. However, what happened next was completely unexpected.

Others heard about the miracles that he was performing and lined up to get whatever they wished for. The line stretched for miles and miles each person asking for something greater than the last. After two years of creating everyone's greatest desire, Brahma returned back to see if the people would begin to worship him. To his dismay, nothing had changed. Not a single prayer came his way. He was furious. What more did he have to do for them?

Brahma stormed off to Vishnu and Shiva and demanded to know why he was still not worshiped.

"Shiva is the Destroyer for crying out loud. Why do people worship him?" said Brahma.

Vishnu wisely replied, "I have helped the people understand the purpose of their lives and sustained them through their trials and difficulties. Shiva has helped others gain wisdom and better understand spiritual reality. What have you done to help others understand their place in the world? How have you helped them grow in their spirituality? You simply created them and left them to figure things out on their own."

Brahma sat in silence, pondering Vishnu's remarks. He stared off into the sky as if he was looking for a better understanding. He began to understand that had done nothing to help them understand who they were or where they came from. He realized that it would take time, but he now understood what the people were truly looking for.

Author's Note: This story is based off of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. It mainly refers to Brahma and the fact that he is not a god that is worshiped due to the fact that he created the world to figure out who he was and not for the benefit of those who he was creating. What happens in the story is not based on any other story, but simply came from my own imagination. This is the second story that I have written about them because they have been interesting for me to learn about. My hope is that this story will make others reflect on what they are actually doing to help other people. Are they simply giving monetary things or giving something that is more worthwhile? I tried my best to guess what Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva's personalities would be like (especially Brahma), but I really do not have the slightest idea. The image that I chose doesn't have any specific significance except that it is an image of Brahma who is the main character in my story.



Brahma the Creator (Image Info)

5 comments:

  1. Hello there Nathan!

    Your story was a very good read! I really liked the way you had Brahma want the world to worship him. One thing I would suggest is putting the picture of your story somewhere in the middle. At first glance it is a huge block of text. Your paragraph length is solid but moving the picture would help.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan,

    First off, congratulations on being nominated as one of the best portfolios! This story was pretty interesting and it has elements that I have been using in my storybook. It must be very hard for a god to go through his existence and not receive praise, especially if that god was the one that created everything in the first place! I love how had Vishnu explain to Brahma that even though he had given people possessions, they still didn’t love and worship him because that is not what they truly wanted. It’s pretty funny that Brahma created the universe to better understand himself, but he doesn’t realize that people wanted to understand themselves as well.

    Your author’s note was great. I love that you wanted people to reflect on their own lives about how they are contributing to their fellow man. I did notice a strange sentence though. The sentence reads: Brahma stormed of the Vishnu and Shiva and demanded to know why he was still not worshiped. I think you just meant to say that he stormed up to them. Clearing that up would make for a more smooth read. Great job on this story and it was a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan!
    What a great story! I’ve read every other story in your portfolio and enjoyed them immensely! You have a way with words that allows your stories to be full of lessons yet not too complex! I love the variety of your stories. You have a humorous Ellen show one and this one that had a great moral to it. I love how you included in the story that possessions and material objects don’t necessarily mean something great. Brahma learned a lesson on how teaching people character traits and how to find meaning in life is the most important thing. This is a side note but I loved the first couple of wishes that you chose the characters to want. A chocolate house sounds pretty darn amazing. So does a sports car. But as your story teaches us all, there is more to life than just owning nice, expensive things! It was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathan!
    I think this is a really cool idea for a story and I'm so impressed that you just came up with it on your own! I hadn't really thought about the ideas you used for this, so it was definitely an interesting thought exercise, and I think you really hit the nail on the head with some important philosophical concepts. Your author's note did a great job of explaining your intent behind the story and making me as the reader really pause for consideration.
    I also think it's really cool that you've spent multiple weeks on the same characters just because you thought they were cool. I did the same thing for my portfolio, so I'm glad I'm not alone in getting a little stuck on one topic that really interested me. You definitely took a way creative approach to your series though, so way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nathan. Your story taught me a little more about the dynamics between those three Gods who stand at the center of many of the Indian Epics that we have studied. I know that you mentioned in your author's note how your story was simply derived from your imagination. But while reading it I couldn't help but draw parallels with the god that I have been most exposed to in Catholicism. When Vishnu's advises Brahma on his actions and inability to help people discover themselves it was though Vishnu's words represented those of many disgruntled critics of Christianity who question God's inability to be more proactive in people's live. I understand that you probably were not going in that direction with your story but the thought just came to my mind while reading and I thought that it was something worth sharing with you. This was a brief story but still very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete